Friday, July 23, 2010

Beautiful Center

Have you ever done something special for someone for the pure reason of helping them out? I try to do it as often as I can. Recently, I helped my Aunt clean out a storage area that she had wanted to work on for some time. Between work, household obligations, family and friends, she simply hadn’t created time to tackle the storage unit.

With a little extra time on my hands, I offered to help. Anticipating an entire weekend project, I was surprised at how quickly the cleanup process took, when we both focused on what to do and where to begin. Now, my Aunt is probably mortified with this blog because everyone will think that she is messy. Not true! Everyone, including me, her kids, in-laws and even a few neighbors has placed an item or 10 in this storage area. And, like most Americans, we always forget what we have and how long it has actually been stored.

To make a long story short, the next day, my Aunt had to leave for a few hours and I opted to stay and ‘work’ on our little project. By the time she returned home, I had finished the cleaning part and organized all boxes into piles for her so that she could go through the rest of the items and sort out the ‘keepers’ and the ‘trash.’ I even fixed a little sitting area up in the center of the storage area. This way, it would be more inviting and comfortable for her to spend the time that is required to finish the organizing of her belongings.

It was nice to hear her appreciation for the work that I had done. However, it was more rewarding to me to hear about some of the plans that she had for his storage area and her excitement in being able to use the space more conveniently.

So, on that note, the quote of the day is:

“What lies at the center of everything is what really matters.” tc

No comments:

Post a Comment