Monday, February 15, 2010

A Rocky Road

A very wise lady once told me that "No one owes you anything in life." Based upon my cultural upbringing, I didn't like that statement at first.  However, when I thought about it, I realized just how accurate her statement really was.
I expect great service when I sit down to dine but I don't think about the waiter/waitress having a bad day.
I expect my hard work to produce some sort of return or reward but I don't think about doing things simply for the satisfaction of just doing them.
I expect my family and friends to love and support me but I don't think about the fact that they may not always agree with me.

We all need a gentle reminder from time to time that life is a gift that we have been given. It is up to us to create the experiences that we have in life not pass the responsibility on to someone or something else to provide for us.  Expectations will only lead us down a rough road and there is no proof of a smooth return.

So, on that note, the quote of the day is:

"Our biggest disappointments arise from our greatest expectations." tc

No comments:

Post a Comment