Saturday, February 20, 2010

Aim High

My father always told me to set goals.  He suggested writing down short-term, medium-term and long-term goals.  He explained to me that the goals that I set had to be obtainable in the given time-frame.  Example: I couldn't set a goal to finish college in 2 years, if it was a 4 year program.  
The object of this excercise was not to pre-plan my every move for the future but to guide my thoughts and actions into an organized focus of accomplishment, to strive towards finishing something and celebrate the reward of that achievement. My goals were not just work oriented. I included such things as: help my children grow, take a vacation and be in a healthy relationship.
There were times when I finished a goal early. I also changed some of my goals along the way as my life changed.  However, to this day, I still set goals for myself in 3 month, 6 month, 1 year, 3 year and 10 year intervals. It is also a refreshing experience that helps to keep me grounded in times of turmoil.

So, on that note, the quote of the day is:

"Aim for the summit of your life, instead of sitting at the bottom of the mountain afraid.  Look up for guidance as you climb."  tc 

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to hear that parental words of wisdom, planted with love, are bearing fruit. Continue to replant and watch the harvest.
    As you said, look up as you climb. If it seems too hard to stand, try getting on your knees.
    Photography is fantastic. You are gifted.

    ReplyDelete