Sunday, February 14, 2010

Defenses

I was walking through crowds of people the other day in a known vacation area and decided to be extra friendly.  Periodically, I said hello or greeted individuals and couples. I was careful not to be offensive to lovebirds or those in a hurry, especially, since this is the valentine weekend.
Some people ignored me completely.  Many people gave me an unfriendly look. A handful of people acknowledged my greeting but quickly looked away. A few people actually responded with a smile and we engaged in a brief conversation.
I think that it is incredible how our nation bands together in moments of crisis but what about the everyday moments of basic human kindness towards each other? Challenge yourself today.  Whether you are on the sidewalk, in the elevator, standing in line or sitting on a park bench, try smiling more and greeting those who pass you by.  You may be surprised who you meet when you let your guard down.   
So, on that note, the quote of the day is:

"Let the warmth of your soul emit outward and melt the cold exterior of others." tc

1 comment:

  1. It's a great exercise... one that I do more often each year beginning in 2005. Amazingly, people of color are the most engaging I have found. Hull

    ReplyDelete