Thursday, June 2, 2016

Fish Stories

So, the story goes:

 "Honey, you wouldn't believe it!  I had been sitting on the side of the lake all morning with nothing more than a nibble.  Cold, a bit sore and hungry; I was about to call it a day when suddenly, the skies parted, my line went under and I was in for the fight of my life.......He dove and angled out towards the center of the lake.  Then, abruptly turned and aimed straight for me.  Reeling in my line as fast as I could to keep tension on the hook, I could see him just below the surface of the water.  He was Big! I am telling you, dear, he was the biggest fish I've ever hooked.  Back and forth, Back and forth he swam, 10 maybe 15 feet from shore. Goodness gracious, my rod was bent to nearly breaking point when, surprisingly he dove deep.  Again, I let my line out and held onto my rod.  Without warning, tension let up on my rod and from out of the blue he jumped out of the water, arching into another dive, just like on TV.  He was so beautiful outlined by the sky and mountains.........."

We have all heard those, seemingly unreal stories that people tell.  We listen entranced by the awe and wonder of the tale.  We wonder, "Is this for real?"  We want to believe a good story.  We deny and try to ignore the not so good stories.  But, it all comes down to proof, doesn't it?  Did he or she land the fish?  Was it a "big one?"

Then, the facts become a bit convoluted.  You see that the fish really wasn't as big as the one you caught last summer.  You remember that day was clear and sunny, not cloudy and cold.  The buddy fishing next to him embellishes the story more with his version. And, before long, you're not sure what to believe.

Storytellers have been weaving the fabric of history since the beginning of mankind. Sometimes, the facts are mere shadows of the truth. The story, slightly exaggerated may influence you to take action, like go fishing and inspire you to experience the same or similar exultation.  Or, the story may turn you off to the practice, all together. It is important to remember that we each see and feel life differently.  We each have likes and dislikes that persuade our understanding of life. The facts are only factual from each person's perspective.     

So, on that note: "Respect each person's story but beware of a jagged hook."

No comments:

Post a Comment